Integration of Health Systems
Intermountain Healthcare is a high-performing integrated health system with facilities in Utah and Idaho. The health system has a long-standing clinical integration structure that encourages professional collaboration. Despite this, in 1999, many physicians at Intermountain Healthcare found it difficult to fulfill the needs of patients with co-occurring physical and mental health conditions. To efficiently and effectively address this issue, Intermountain Healthcare adopted a mental health integration model in many of its primary care facilities, as well as some of its specialty clinics and partner clinics. The team-based approach has improved the coordination of services, resulting in higher quality care at a savings of cost.
Consider the example above. What advantages does integration afford Intermountain Healthcare? Do other integrated health systems experience similar benefits? Are there disadvantages to integration? If so, what are they?
To prepare for this Assignment, review the information related to vertical and horizontal integration presented in the Learning Resources.
Select one of the following horizontally integrated health systems:
· Sunrise Senior Living
· Quest Diagnostics
Also select one of the following vertically integrated health systems:
· Kaiser Permanente
· Mayo Clinic
· Cleveland Clinic
· MedStar Health
· Memorial Hermann Healthcare System Houston
As an alternative, you may use Becker’s Hospital Review resource to identify a vertically integrated health system.
Using the Walden Library and credible sources on the Internet, research your selected health systems. Investigate the rationale for pursuing integration and the strategies each health system has used to achieve integration. Note information related to the size of each health system, settings/locations, and types of services it provides.
Based on your research, consider the ways in which the two health systems are similar to and/or different from one another.
Assess the business and health care-related implications of horizontal and vertical integration of your selected health systems. How does integration impact the management of your selected organizations and the patients/consumers they serve, especially in terms of cost, quality, and access?
Consider any applicable insights you have gained through the Discussion for this module.
Write a 3- to 4-page paper in which you:
· Compare the horizontally integrated health system and the vertically integrated health system you have selected (e.g., size, settings/locations, and types of services).
· Explain each health system’s rationale for pursuing integration and the strategies it has used to achieve integration.
· Assess the business and health care-related implications of integration for your selected health systems, including how integration impacts the patients/consumers the organization serves.
|Your Assignment must be written in standard edited English. Be sure to support your work with specific citations from this module’s Learning Resources and additional scholarly sources as appropriate.|
· Shi, L., & Singh, D. (2015). Delivering health care in America: A systems approach (6th ed.). Burlington, MA: Jones & Bartlett.
o Chapter 9, “Managed Care and Integrated Organizations” (pp. 361–368)
· Cohen, A., Klein, S., & McCarthy, D. (2014). Hill Physicians Medical Group: A market-driven approach to accountable care for commercially insured patients.
· Cutler, D. M., & Morton, F. S. (2013). Special communication: Hospitals, market share, and consolidation. JAMA, 310(18), 1964–1970.
Retrieved from the Walden Library databases.
· Sanford, K. D. (2013). Integration requires new roles and responsibilities. Healthcare Financial Management, 67(3), 56–60.
Retrieved from the Walden Library databases.
· Summer, L. (2014). Research insights: Integration, concentration, and competition in the provider marketplace.
Use the following resources to select integrated health systems on which to focus for your Assignment. You may also use this list to develop background information as you research health systems in your area for the Discussion.
· Rodak, S. (2013). 100 integrated health systems to know.
Vertically Integrated Health Systems
· Cleveland Clinic. (n.d.).
· Kaiser Permanente. (n.d.).
· Mayo Clinic. (n.d.).
· MedStar Health. (n.d.).
· Memorial Hermann Healthcare System Houston. (n.d.).
Horizontally Integrated Health Systems
· Apria. (n.d).
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more