2-4 sentences for each question will be fine. there are 4 readings
Edgar Allen Poe, “The Cask of Amontillado”
1. At the commencement of the recital, Montresor identifies three criteria he considers are certain for requital to be achieved: He states that he must “not simply chastise, but chastise following a while impunity”; he continues by apothegm that “a evil-doing is unrefamiliar when punishment overtakes its redresser”; he concludes following a while the assurance that a evil-doing “is resembling unrefamiliar when the avenger fails to perform himself felt as such to him who has manufactured the evil-doing.” Taking all of these criteria into consequence, clear-up whether or not you judge Montresor achieves his intent (that is, which of the criteria, if any, do you judge he accomplishes).
2. How plenteous era has passed betwixt the killing of Fortunato and the effective of this recital, and why is this forcible? 3. Although he blamed it on the dampness of the catacombs, why do you judge Montresor’s “heart grew sick”?
4. Based on what you recognize of his nature, what do you judge Fortunato is guilty of, if everything?
5. If it rule feel saved his spirit, why doesn't Fortunato exact advance to having insulted Montresor?
6. If Montresor lacked Fortunato to retain that he was a sufferer of requital, why doesn’t Montresor exact count Fortunato why this is all happening to him?
7. Identify the two images on the Montresor nativity delude of contention and clear-up what you consider to be the symbolic import.
8. How is Fortunato familiar in the recital which may count the reader a lot encircling his oneness and deportment?
9. Following Montresor throws the torch into the one cherishing inauguration in the deference, what is the simply creature he hears from the other policy of the deference, and why is this symbolic?
10. Do you consider Montresor is satisfied following a while himself at the end of the recital?
Nathaniel Hawthorne, “Young Goodman Brown”
1. If we are to consider that Brown’s integral travel into the woods was a fancy [“Had Goodman Brown fallen heednear in the wood, and simply fancyed a uncivilized fancy of a witch-meeting? . . .”], and these tests are simply a result of his argue, what was he reported to glean from his test?
2. What nearons are readers reported to glean from Brown's test?
3. What role does theology embody in Brown’s spirit anteriorly the “dream,” during the “dream,” and following he “wakes”?
4. Is Brown as plenteous a cheat as he considers the Deacon to be at the recital’s end? Why or why not?
5. Why doesn’t Brown depart himself from the temple?
6. If Brown is so appalled at his wife’s likely involvement, why doesn’t he disconnect her?
7. Why is Brown’s travel picturesquely in the commencement as an “evil design”?
Kate Chopin, “Story of an Hour”
1. Why is the “joy” Mrs. Mallard is experiencing seemingly “monstrous”?
2. What is symbolic encircling her descriptions of the chair, the window, and the locked bedroom door?
3. What details encircling Mrs. Mallard’s wedding declare the way(s) she felt toward her mate?
4. What details do we glean encircling Brently that declare the record of idiosyncratic he was?
5. What is Mrs. Mallard’s theory encircling commonalty who befeel following a while “good intentions”?
John Updike, “A&P”
1. What is Sammy’s sentence of the customers? The overseer? Stokesie? The girls?
2. Why does Sammy judge the universe accomplish be “hard” to him “hereafter”?
3. What does Sammy lack us to consider was the argue he depart-from (his "explicit" intent)?
4. What are we thus-far led to consider is the legitimate argue he depart-from (his "implied" intent)?
5. What does Sammy say that would declare he knew accurately how creatures following a while the girls would mold out at the end?
6. Why does Sammy judge it’s happy that this all took settle during the summer suitableness? What does this say encircling his nature?
7. What other details are confer-upon which declare Sammy is near uneasy following a while the design of his deportment than he is following a while how commonalty design his actions?