The poem i choose is “My Son the Man” by Sharon Olds
The purpose of this activity is to choose a poem to write an Analysis Essay on, post the evidence you find in the poem that supports an argumentative thesis about a theme in it, and brainstorm about your poem with your peers on the Discussion Board. It would be good to review the definition and example of an Analysis Essay in Unit 2 and to review New Critical elements such as repetition, metaphor, alliteration, etc. in order to be sure that you have the tools for this analysis at your disposal.
1. Read these poems and choose one to write an analysis essay about: (Note: You will need to read all of these poems in order to respond helpfully to others who may choose them).
I picked “My Son the Man” by Sharon Olds
You are welcome, even encouraged, to explore your poem’s background and meaning through research. Some of the poems are explicated (analyzed and developed in detail) on sites such as schmoop.com.
Please remember, however:
2. Write three “prewriting” paragraphs about the poem you have chosen. Begin each paragraph with a main idea sentence, and use transitions between points so that your reader can easily follow your logic.
1) A brainstorming paragraph that answers these questions:
2) An evidence paragraph that includes the following:
3) A conferencing paragraph in which you ask at least: two questions about your ideas and fully explain why you have these questions. Any aspects of the poem (lines not understood, etc.) or essay writing (theme, thesis, structure, etc.) are appropriate.
3. Post your three prewriting paragraphs to the discussion board by clicking on the title of this activity or through the Discussion board menu on the left.
4. Respond to at least three peers and directly address in a helpful way the questions that the student has in the conferencing paragraph. If you are writing about the same poem, add any additional ideas/thoughts that you have.
*Remember that in the model analysis essay on “My Papa’s Waltz,” the thesis states that specific poetic elements show “the waltz” to be a dark event, thus supporting a theme that sometimes there are signs of trouble in a relationship in what might otherwise be considered a very enjoyable, lighthearted activity such as a waltz.
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more