1. During four successive years, a home owner purchased oil for her furnace at respective costs of… 1 answer below »
1. During four successive years, a home owner purchased oil for her furnace at respective costs of $0.80, $0.90, $1.05, and $1.25 per gallon (gal). What was the average cost of oil over the 4-year period?
2. A car travels 25 miles at 25 miles per hour (mi/h), 25 miles at 50 mph, and 25 miles at 75 mph. Find the arithmetic mean of the three velocities and the harmonic mean of the three velocities. Which is correct?
3. THE ROOT MEAN SQUARE, OR QUADRATIC MEAN
Find the quadratic mean of the numbers 3, 5, 6, 6, 7, 10, and 12.
4. Prove that the quadratic mean of two positive unequal numbers, a and b, is greater than their geometric mean.
5. Find (a) the quartiles Q1, Q2, and Q3 and (b) the deciles D1, D2, . . . ,D9 for the wages of the
65 employees at the P&R Company (see Problem 2.3).
6. Determine (a) the 35th and (b) the 60th percentiles for the distribution.